t Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in Your Trenton Home
Schedule Now! Call
609-714-0505

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in Your Trenton Home

Posted on April 18, 2014 by admin in Blog, Safety Services

carbon-monoxide

Four Tips to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Here are Raynor Services, we want to help you and your family better understand the dangerous effects of carbon monoxide. You’ve probably heard the stories, but maybe you didn’t think it could happen to you. While it is a rare occurrence, we want you to be prepared just in case.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

In short, carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can dangerously infiltrate indoor spaces. When things like coal, wood, charcoal, or propane don’t burn completely, carbon monoxide is what’s left over. It’s colorless and odorless, so the only way to detect it is with an alarm.

The leftover gases that can cause carbon monoxide could be accidentally produced by:

  • Lawn mowers
  • Portable generators
  • Automobiles
  • Water heaters
  • Furnaces
  • Power washers

How Can You Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

As dangerous as carbon monoxide is, the reason for this post is to help you stay safe – not to scare you. The following four tips will help you avoid you and your family getting carbon monoxide poisoning:

  1. Proper appliance set up: Make sure that all of your electrical appliances are installed correctly. At Raynor Services, our staff is expertly trained and will make sure that your appliances are safe and efficient!
  2. Portable generator safety: We often suggest whole home generators to avoid any potential problems with portable ones. But if you aren’t ready to switch make sure to use the portable generator in a wide open space.
  3. Install a carbon monoxide detector: This is now becoming a requirement for all homes, and in all rooms where people reside most often – like living rooms and bedrooms. These devices need to be tested often and in a well seen and well heard location.
  4. Do not… leave your car running in an enclosed space (like a garage) for long periods, block chimneys or vents, use ovens or gas appliances to heat your home, or burn charcoal indoors.

Remember – we aren’t trying to scare you into thinking your home will be contaminated with carbon monoxide. Chances are, you and your family are perfectly safe. But it can’t hurt to be extra prepared.

For more information on carbon monoxide, or to have your safety devices installed, give Raynor Services a call today!